I decided I wanted something red and white and simple for the beds in Sweden. A checkerboard quilt seemed perfect, so I cut a bunch of 2″ strips from my red and white fabrics and sewed them together. Then I cut them in 2″ segments.
I hauled them to a retreat with me!
Then it was just a matter of sewing them together into longer and longer strips.
You know the drill. Once the strips were long enough it was time to sew them together.
Here’s the first one when I finished it at the retreat and spread it on my bed.
In keeping with the “simple” theme, I just quilted diagonally with wavy lines.
But I didn’t go all the way in one direction, I did more of a chevron pattern.
I was really pleased with the way it turned out.
I found this cute bird print for the back.
Each quilt was 40 squares by 50 squares, or 2000 squares! (Scary when you say it that way!)
Yes, I said “each quilt” because I made two of them!
Here’s Bob getting his. I gave it to him before we left home so he could put it in his suitcase!
When we first got to Sweden, we had to sleep upstairs because our bedroom wasn’t remodeled yet.
But once the remodel was finished, we brought the bed—and the quilts—downstairs to their new home.
I didn’t like the way the Dala horses showed through the wallpaper. It looked like they were in jail! So, I added some fabric to the back of the headboard.
Now I really must do something about pillows!